R is a tool for statistics and data modeling. R is a programming language and software environment for statistical analysis, graphics representation and reporting. The R programming language is elegant, versatile, and has a highly expressive syntax designed around working with data. R is freely available under the GNU General Public License, and pre-compiled binary versions are provided for various operating systems like Linux, Windows and Mac.
R provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear modelling, classical statistical tests, time-series analysis, classification, clustering) and graphical techniques, and is highly extensible. .If you want to easily manipulate your data and present it in compelling ways, R is the tool for you. This programming language was named R, based on the first letter of first name of the two R authors (Robert Gentleman and Ross Ihaka) and partly a play on the name of the Bell Labs Language S. The S language is often the vehicle of choice for research in statistical methodology, and R provides an Open Source route to participation in that activity.
R is an integrated suite of software facilities for data manipulation, calculation and graphical display. The features are
- an effective data handling and storage facility
- it provides an unparalleled platform for programming new statistical methods in a straightforward manner.
- a suite of operators for calculations on arrays, in particular matrices
- in R everything is an object, and has some object oriented programming capabilities.
- a large, coherent, integrated collection of intermediate tools for data analysis
- it contains advanced statistical routines not yet available in other packages.
- graphical facilities for data analysis and display either on-screen or on hardcopy
- it has state-of-the-art graphics capabilities.
- a well-developed, simple and effective programming language which includes conditionals, loops, user-defined recursive functions and input and output facilities
- it’s efficient with its resources and it is free